Birdsong: The Shirt and Blouse Pattern
This is a sewing pattern PDF (not the finished garment) for a kids shirt pattern. The boys shirt sewing pattern includes the peter pan collar blouse:see here.
The trousers pattern shown in the photos is available here.
The Birdsong Fabric range is available in my shop at Spoonflower- see fabric buying info on the details tab.
This girls or boys shirt sewing pattern can be worked as a girls or boys school shirt (a formal or uniform shirt), or with applique bands for a more street-style look. Both version of this girls or boys school shirt or blouse can be created with long or short sleeves. They are worked with external seams so that they are sensory friendly. No more morning meltdowns! The front band and cuffs can be fastened with Velcro which is easier for little hands to manage – although buttons can be used.
Get your instant 20% discount HERE
Features for your Sensory Child
- The seams are worked on the outside so that the inside is smooth and have no scratchy itchy seam allowances or labels.
- The Shirt and Blouse can be fastened with Velcro or buttons – your choice.
- Avoid the use of stiff new fabrics and also save the planet.: Make the shirt or blouse using recycled fabric (dad or mum’s old shirt or a charity/thrift shop find),
Advanced: This pattern is suitable for experienced sewers who may want to try something a bit more challenging.
For more details click on the ‘Details’ and ‘Tech Specs’ tabs.
To Fit Ages: 3(4,5,6,7,8,9,10) years
To Fit Chest: 54.5 (57,59.5,62,64.5,67,69.5,72) cm
For the shirt with contrast bands:
The contrast -1/2 yard of printed fabric (choose Organic Cotton Sateen) from Spoonflower – buy it here Ruth Maddock Makes shop at Spoonflower.com
Note: the Spoonflower fabric is sold by the yard—full yards only.
For the Shirt (plain or with contrast bands) 1.25 metre (all sizes) x 140 cm (55 inches) of cotton shirting.
For the Blouse 1.25 metre x 142 cm (56 inches) of cotton shirting or printed fabric- choose Organic Cotton Sateen – in fabric options – from Spoonflower.
For The bird footprints fabric buy it here Ruth Maddock Makes shop at Spoonflower.com
For The Rosy Posy fabric buy it here Ruth Maddock Makes shop at Spoonflower.com
You will also need:
Soft Velcro or 4 buttons for fastening. (6 buttons for the long sleeve version)
Sewing kit and basic sewing machine.
Regular (for woven fabric) sewing machine needles — change these needles frequently.
Fine line vanishing fabric marker.
Small length of ribbon for pocket tabs.
The Paper Sewing Pattern includes making instructions leaflet and will be sent by post – P&P will be added at checkout.
The digital download will be sent to your inbox immediately after payment.
You will receive a zipped file
(you can google instructions for opening zipped files on your MAC or PC.)
The zipped file contains 3 PDF files – these are;
1) The pattern in PDF format. You can print this in US Letter size or A4 paper size. You will need to stick the pieces of pattern together.
2) The pattern in A1 or A0 size . This can be printed in Black and White at your local or online copyshop. You wont need to stick the pattern together as it will be printed on one sheet.
3) The Making Instructions which comprise of complete photographic instructions to make the garment. This can also be printed in US Letter size or A4 paper size.
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to open the pattern files.
A1/A0 pattern can be printed (in the UK) HERE