Over the Rainbow: Unicorn and Dinosaur Hat Pattern
PLEASE NOTE: THIS UNICORN AND DINOSAUR HAT SEWING PATTERN IS NOT A PHYSICAL ITEM, BUT A DIGITAL (PDF) FILE ONLY!
Create this amazing unicorn or dinosaur hat using fleece fabric with this unique pattern! Your kids will love wearing these hats and they make the perfect winter warmer. The pattern comes with detailed photo instructions throughout to ensure your success. The fleece hat is created in the balaclava shape with velcro fastening at front and soft jersey lining.
Make it in one of our fabric designs from Spoonflower using their fleece – a lovely soft fabric. See fabric buying info (with links to fabric used) on the details tab. OR use your own fabrics.
Get your instant 20% discount HERE
Features for your Sensory Child
- The seams are enclosed inside the lining so that the inside is smooth and has no scratchy itchy seam allowances or labels.
- The hat is loose and comfy, make a smaller size if your child likes tight clothing.
- Make the hats using recycled fabrics – an old fleece jacket or thrift shop find. The fabric will be softer and its better for the planet.
Enthusiastic: This pattern is suitable for someone who has made a few beginner projects and is keen to learn more.
For more details click on the ‘Details’ and ‘Tech Specs’ tabs.
Ages 2—4 years (5– 7 years, 8 years to teenage)
To fit Head circumference 19(20,21) inches, 48.5(51,53.5) cm.
Actual head circumference 22(23,24) inches, 56(58.5,61) cm
For the Hat—(both styles) 1 fat quarter of printed fabric from Spoonflower.com choose the fleece fabric option in one of the designs below;
Pink Brush Strokes – buy it here Ruth Maddock Makes shop at Spoonflower.com
Black Brush Strokes – buy it here Ruth Maddock Makes shop at Spoonflower.com
Random Splatters – buy it here Ruth MaddockMakes Shop at Spoonflower.com
Watercolour Splatters – buy it here Ruth Maddock Makes shop at Spoonflower.com
OR – fabric piece at least 50 cm x 71 cm of any light to medium weight fleece fabric.
AND – for lining 1 x fabric piece at least 50 cm x 71 cm of any light to medium weight cotton jersey fabric.
For the optional Dinosaur main in contrast—you will need at least 45 cm x 20 cm of contrast fleece or jersey.
If using jersey for the dinosaur mane you will also need a small quantity of medium weight iron on interfacing.
For the Unicorn you will need 1 x 50g ball of Chunky yarn in multi pastel shades and an oddment of white fleece or use reverse of the fabric—Spoonflower fabric is white on the reverse.
Sewing kit including straight stitch sewing machine. Matching polyester sewing thread.
Ball Point (for Jersey) sewing machine needles — change these needles frequently.
Fine line vanishing fabric marker.
It is important to wash the fabric before use to allow it to shrink.
Thanks for Looking!
The Paper Sewing Pattern includes making instructions leaflet and will be sent by post – P&P will be added at checkout.
The digital download will be sent to your inbox immediately after payment.
You will receive a zipped file
(you can google instructions for opening zipped files on your MAC or PC.)
The zipped file contains 3 PDF files – these are;
1) The pattern in PDF format. You can print this in US Letter size or A4 paper size. You will need to stick the pieces of pattern together.
2) The pattern in A1 or A0 size . This can be printed in Black and White at your local or online copyshop. You wont need to stick the pattern together as it will be printed on one sheet.
3) The Making Instructions which comprise of complete photographic instructions to make the garment. This can also be printed in US Letter size or A4 paper size.
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to open the pattern files.
The A3 pattern version can be printed at your local copyshop.